Zoom Private Instruction Protocol
Private instruction is offered via Zoom during the Wednesday morning sitting every other week. It is available to trial members (during their trial period) or members who are not formal students of Roshi Henderson.
Reservations for private instruction may be made using the link below, at least 24 hours in advance of the sitting for that week where it is offered.
- As with a sitting, you should be wearing either a robe (if you have one) or clean, solid coloured, dark clothing.
- The room must be clean and tidy with adequate lighting (the light should be in front of you and not behind) for Roshi to see you. Also, your camera should be at eye level (use a stand if necessary). Test this out before going to private instruction.
- There must be no pets or interruptions during the call, from your phone or otherwise.
- You must join the Zoom sitting in advance of attending private instructions (as per the instructions on the online sitting page).
- Please wait for Roshi to ring his handbell before exiting the virtual Zen Sitting. When leaving, make sure your mike is unmuted so as not to interfere with the beginning of private instruction (see this page for detailed instructions on how to configure your Zoom client for private instruction).
- Once you have exited the sitting, immediately open the link for the private instruction waiting room and join the waiting line.
- While in the virtual line, continue to work on your practice and stay focused and alert. Respond immediately when your turn comes.
- Once Roshi appears, immediately do a bow (seated is fine) and state your practice. There is no need to say “Hello” or “Can you hear me?” He will let you know if he cannot.
- Once you have finished private instruction, immediately leave the “meeting” and rejoin the group Zoom sitting in the Zendo for the end of the sitting with chanting and/or four vows and three prostrations.